552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Leapin' Lizards!

One of the great things about living in Florida is that I've only seen one cockroach in the eight months I've lived here. Compared to our time in Georgia, that's nothing. Every time the exterminator came (which was once a month in our apartment complex), we'd find little roach carcasses all over our apartment for the next week or so. We'd also see live roaches about once a week. Granted, Cory and I aren't the neatest people on the planet, but our roach (and palmetto bug) problem had much more to do with the climate than with our cleanliness.

But there's an odd tradeoff here. No, much to my surprise, there aren't as many roaches. However, we do get lizards in our apartment instead.

Not every day. Not even every month. But every once in a while, I catch a tiny little lizard (or anole, or something) in the apartment. Sometimes, I open the front door, and one scurries in. Sometimes they sneak in through the lanai. One time, I found a tail on the floor, then later saw a tail-less lizard on the lanai. And one other time, I found a dead one on the floor.

Today, one was hanging around on the burner in our kitchen. As soon as I spotted him, he zipped underneath the burner where I couldn't reach him. He eventually came out, leading Cory and I on a wild goose chase around the kitchen before we finally trapped him behind the vertical blinds.

We took him outside, and dumped him on the back lawn. He sat there stunned for about fifteen minutes, but I just went out to check on him again, and he was gone. If I were him, I'd be plotting ways to get back into our apartment for the air conditioning.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa