552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Foxy Lady

I covered a press conference today (oooh, breaking news), and spent some time with the other local media-types. It's really the only time I get to spend with people other than my own co-workers. Anyway, I was chatting with the weekend sports anchor at our competition, and he told me that I was looking "fine." (actually, he said it "fiiiiiinne"). He clarified by saying that usually he sees me in sweats and jeans, but since I was dressed up today, that my inner fine-ness was shining through. Basically, it was a backhanded compliment: I clean up real good.

It got me to thinking... I'm a slob. I wasn't always a slob. Back when I first started teaching full-time, I wore suits and dresses all the time. But then I taught a few 8am classes, and I got a little less formal. Then I took on a second job, and I went from suits and heels to khakis and loafers. Then I started working in sports, and I went from khakis and loafers to jeans and sneakers.

See, I spend most of my life running up and down sidelines, baselines, bleachers, and stairs, carrying about 50 pounds of video equipment with me the whole time. Wearing dresses just doesn't work when it's 40 degrees, raining, and I'm trying to run the 40 faster than the home team's running back. I think I've worn a skirt to work once since coming to this station. The only time I look nice is when I'm anchoring, and that's only from the waist up.

Today, I wore dress pants and a nice wraparound sweater, because I only had to deal with a nice indoors press conference. I have to admit, I looked kind of nice. Maybe not "fiiiine," but it's a start. Tomorrow, though, it's back to the jeans and sweatshirt. Let's take this in baby steps.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa