552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

An Awkward Exchange

Cory's co-workers have been really great about helping me in my job-hunting efforts. Even the ones that I don't know very well have offered tips, advice, and even references. Today, however, their help led to a somewhat awkward exchange.

Most of the jobs that I've applied for have been in either public relations or markeing. Well, it just so happens that one of Cory's supervisors has a wife that works in marketing at an area company. While it isn't my ideal field, it is something that I know a little about and that I find interesting.

So, he sets up a little meet-and-greet with his wife. There isn't a position available at her company, but one may be opening up soon. He tells Cory that she'll be expecting me to drop by her office today.

I put on my big-girl clothes, slap on a little makeup, and print up a resume. I head over to her office and ask to speak with her. The receptionist has to say my name three times into the phone.

To her credit, she didn't leave me waiting. I'm guessing that the curiosity got the best of her. I introduce myself, and she says, "I'm sorry... do I know you?"

I'm completely caught off-guard. She was expecting me, right? I attempt to stammer a brief explanation.... something along the lines of "ummmmm... hahaha... well... ummmm... my husband works with your husband and he... uhhhh... suggested I come in to talk with you."

She very obviously has no idea what I'm talking about. Thankfully, she's very nice, and amuses me for about five minutes, taking my resume and engaging in a little small talk. I apologize profusely for showing up unexpectedly. She promises to pass my resume along in case something opens up. I wander off with my tail tucked between my legs.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa