552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Saturday, February 08, 2003

Culture Shock

Let me start by saying that the cultural scene here in Columbus is, well, lacking. The good thing is that there's a small contingent of people here that are ashamed as it's lack of culture. The Columbus Museum (which is pretty nice, from what I hear) sponsors a Foreign and Independent film festival twice a year. The movies come to town way too late, but I'd rather see them in the cozy confines of the screening room than on a tiny TV in my living room.

Some of the films we've seen at the film festival are "Mulholland Drive" (David Lynch), "The Good Girl" (starring John C. Reilley and Jennifer Aniston) "Full Frontal" (Steven Soderbergh) and "The Man Who Wasn't There" (the Cohen Brothers).

Tonight, we went to see "Bowling for Columbine." First, I need to preface this by saying that I think Michael Moore is brilliant. He sees things in a way that few people do, and somehow manages to transfer those ideas to film perfectly. A lot of people don't like him, because they don't agree with his views, or because they think his films are propaganda. They're confusing the role of a filmmaker with that of a journalist. Do I think he's a journalist, and should be unbiased? Hell, no. That's the point. Aristotle would love this guy. He makes his argument through his film, using ethos, pathos and logos.

Of course, why would I expect any less? After all, Moore is the mastermind behind "Canadian Bacon."

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa