552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hurricane, Shmurricane

As far as our first "Hurricane," Ernesto has proved to be more of an annoyance than anything else. No, I'm not complaining.

Of course, Ernesto wasn't a hurricane for long... just a 12-hour stretch on Sunday. Just long enough to get everyone in Southern Florida a little bit nervous. After Charley and Wilma, nobody here really wants to take any chances. No, there wasn't panic. Yes, lines at gas stations got a little bit longer than usual, and I'm sure that sales of flashlights and batteries probably spiked for a day or two.

Schools here have been cancelled for today, which means I had to go in on my day off to do my weekly high school football story. I was prepared to work a long week anyway. Originally, I was supposed to go in at 8 am today to cover tropical storm stuff... but my phone rang at 3:30 a.m. and I was told that the storm had weakened to the point where my services were no longer needed. Yeah, I'll still have to work... but at least I won't have to go in six hours early.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sleep since. Thank you, Ernesto, for providing me with yet another sleepless night.

As far as the actual weather here is concerned, so far, we've had a little rain with a slight breeze. Mostly, a steady drizzle, with occasional bursts of showers. Watching The Weather Channel, it appears that the rain will get much heavier in the later morning hours, and our yard will probably flood, as it always does when it rains. I'm guessing that some of the really low-lying areas south of here (like Everglades City) will get some flooding, and if we get some heavy rain bands, our electricity may even go out briefly (we seem to lose power for a while every time there's a thunderstorm). But as I've mentioned, I'm no weather expert. I'm just the sportslady.

I'm interested to see what will happen once Ernesto crosses the state and reaches the Atlantic. But for now, I'm just glad that I don't have to be at work in 2 1/2 hours. I think I'll try to hit the hay now.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa