552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Draft Day

In all the 06-06-06 excitement, I completely forgot that today was the first day of the Major League Baseball draft!

I never cared much for draft day until moving to Georgia a few years ago. Since then, I've seen several kids I know get drafted and move on to the minors. I've even seen a few make it to the majors (Technically, Edwin Jackson was drafted a few months before I moved to Georgia, but who's counting?)

Last year, Colby Rasmus of Russell County HS was drafted in the first round (by the St. Louis Cardinals). I keep hoping he'll get sent to the Cards' Advanced-A team in Palm Beach so that I can see him pitch down here in the Florida State League. My Cory was so excited that Colby went to the Cards that I asked Colby to sign Cory's old crappy Cardinals ballcap. I felt like a moron asking him to sign it, but Cory can at least claim that he has Colby's first autograph as a member of the Cardinals.

This year, two of Colby's old High School teammates are considered top prospects: Kasey Kiker and Cory Rasmus (Colby's brother... their dad, Tony was their HS Coach) .

Kasey didn't have to wait long... about an hour ago, he was picked in the first round--12th overall-- by the Texas Rangers. I got to know his mom when I was in C-town... she's such a sweet lady. Kasey had better buy her something nice with the ginormous signing bonus he's about to get.

As far as Cory Rasmus, he became the school's third first-round pick in two years. The Atlanta Braves picked him with the 38th overall pick. Not too shabby, considering the last projection I saw had him going early in the third round. I hope he does well.

And as for Cory and Colby's mom, Robin, I know you're reading this. Congrats, and I wish you and your family all my best.

Addendum: A few hours after I posted, Russell County's Adam Coe was drafted by the Braves in the seventh round. Nice work, guys.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa