552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Sunday, May 21, 2006

From the Horse's Mouth

I've always had a very conflicted relationship with horse racing. As a kid, I was one of those girls that was completely obsessed with horses. No, I wasn't one of those obnoxious girls who took horseback riding classes. But that didn't stop me from asking for a pony every time my birthday rolled around. In reality, I think I've only been on a horse once or twice in my life. I've ridden more elephants and camels than I have horses (even if they were only amusement park photo opportunities).

So why am I conflicted? I love animals. I love sports. Horse racing falls somewhere between them. I've been watching the triple crown races as long as I can remember. But let's face it, many animal rights activists will tell you that racing is abuse.

Where do I stand? Well, that's why I'm so conflicted. Let's face it, horses that are Kentucky Derby contenders lead a life of luxury. However, I'm not convinced that the horses racing at your local racetrack lead that same life. And I'm sure that many horses are abused by their owners and trainers.

And then, there are the injuries, like the tragic events today at Pimlico. Today's race was one of very few Preakness Stakes that I haven't watched. I was at the airport at the time. I heard about Barbaro's accident on the radio, immediately after the race, and my heart sank.

For those of you who don't follow racing, a broken leg to a racehorse typically means the worst. Imagine supporting a half-ton of weight on four tiny little ankles. A fracture often can't be repaired, and the horses are often "destroyed." Fortunately for Barbaro, a horse that's never lost a race (with the exception of today) means he's a valued stud. With that incentive, they may be able to save him, but the outlook is bleak. By the time you read this, Barbaro's fate may already be determined.

There is a glimmer of hope, though... if not for Barbaro himself, for his owners, who I'm sure are devastated. Earlier in the day, I was watching some pre-race programming on ESPN (I think), and they showed Barbaro's brother. That's right... his owners/breeders loved him so much that they bred his sire (Dynaformer) to his dam (La Ville Rouge) again... not something that happens a lot in the horsie world. Barbaro's full brother is just two months old, and, from the video I saw today, downright adorable. So maybe in three years, we'll see a full brother of a Kentucky Derby winner trying to fulfill Barbaro's Triple Crown promise.

Will I be watching? Of course.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa