552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Monday, May 01, 2006

Nosy?

I sure am. And because I've been in house-hunting mode for the last few months, I've stumbled across a few nifty websites. My current favorite is Zillow.com, one of a few neat sites where you can look up property values and other information.

For example, I just looked up the house across the street from me-- a 1,400 square foot one-story waterfront (canal) home. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a two-car garage, a small boat dock, a lanai and a pool, all on about a 10,000 square foot lot. A nice little pad.

Zillow "zestimates" the value at $462, 518. It also tells me that our neighbors bought the house just over a year ago (Feb. 2005) for about a hundred grand less ($365,000). Even more disgustingly, in 2000, the previous owner bought the house for just $123k. That's more or less what the property was assessed at in 2004.

Welcome to SW Florida, where people will pay ridiculous prices to live in the hurricane hot zone.

But, if you're not into looking up the price of people's homes (and don't knock it 'till you try it), you can marvel in the fun birds-eye imaging that they use, via Microsoft Virtual Earth. For a fun demonstration, you can peek at some famous houses, like the Playboy Mansion. Sorry, no frolicking "bunnies" sighted on the lawn.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa