552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, April 07, 2006

Paradigm Shift

It's funny... since moving here to the Sunshine State, I feel like a different person. I don't get a dread-induced stomach ache every day while driving to work. I don't have nightmares about my job (well, every now and then I do, but not on a nightly basis). I sometimes even smile and laugh. Nice, huh?

I've been considering making this post for quite some time. There's a lot of reasons to like my new job/workplace. I respect my news director. I like getting paid overtime. I enjoy our news/sports philosophy. But there are a lot of little reasons to like my job, too. This list is in no way complete... just random thoughts that have come to me over the course of the last three months.

1. My new station has a security gate. That's right. No creepy drunk guys wandering the parking lot. And, more important, I no longer have to park an unlit gravel lot down the street from my station.
2. Vending machines that dispense Pepsi products at a reasonable price and have not once eaten any of my money. I've never even seen a post-it note that says "This machine owes me 75 cents." In fact, one day I put 75 cents into the machine, and the digital display flashed "WINNER!" It returned my change, and gave me free cookies. How cool is that?
3. Next to the vending machines at work... an Ice Machine.
4. Every desk in the newsroom has a television on it. The break room has a television. And we're allowed to watch anything we want. (For those of you who don't know, we were only allowed to watch our own station at my last job.)
5. A desk in the newsroom. Yeah, I have to share my desk with another person... but I really like being in the newsroom. I don't feel like an outsider. I actually talk to my co-workers. And sometimes, they even talk back.
6. The sports department has our own vehicle and our own edit bay. No begging for keys to a van. No waiting until the last minute to edit my stories.
7. A station cell phone and pager. The time my van broke down at my old station, I had to walk two blocks in a scary neighborhood to find a pay phone.
8. Though I don't know many of the people that work at our radio stations, for some reason, I find it cool that there are about eight radio stations operating out of our building.
9. Bathrooms with decent plumbing (i.e. toilets that don't overflow on a weekly basis).
10. Did I mention palm trees in our parking lot?

Yeah, ok. I have complaints, too. I hate our newsroom computer system. I hate that most of my co-workers are (still) much younger than me. But nobody's perfect, right?

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa