552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, January 16, 2003

Ignorance is Bliss

Its amazing that someone that works in television can be so ignorant about what's going on in the world, but I've discovered that TV reporters are some of the most uninformed people out there. I think it's because we're so busy working on our own specialized stories that we never get a chance to watch the lead stories on the news. For example, when we're airing the lead stories, I'm usually editing my highlight tapes and calling coaches and harassing them for scores. Then, during weather, I'm usually getting dressed and putting on my face. Then after the show, I always end up asking our weather guy, "So, what's it gonna be like tomorrow?"

When I do get some free time at work, I usually peruse the AP Wire reports and check things out. Imagine my concern at 1pm Wednesday, when I see this:

AP-Plague Samples Gone (Tops)

(Lubbock, Texas-AP) -- A search is under way in Texas for some missing samples of bubonic plague.

Texas Tech University says some vials of the deadly disease were reported missing to campus police yesterday.
A T-V station (K-C-B-D) reports at least 30 vials are unaccounted for -- and that officials don't know if they were stolen, or just misplaced. And a newspaper (Lubbock Avalanche-Journal) reports on its Web site that the vials had been missing for several days -- but weren't reported until yesterday.
Texas Tech says there's no reason to believe the samples were intentionally taken from the lab. The school's chancellor says the strain of plague involved in the samples is common in Texas.
The F-B-I has sent agents to Lubbock to help in the search.


Ok, so I'm thinking to myself, didn't the plague kill something like 200 million people? Yeah, so two hours later, the AP sends this over the wire:


AP-Plague Samples Gone (Tops)

(Lubbock, Texas-AP) -- Those bubonic plague samples are no longer missing in Texas.
The F-B-I says the samples that were reported missing at Texas Tech University have been accounted for.
And the bureau says there is no danger to public safety whatsoever.
The agent in charge isn't spilling many details -- including where the vials were found and where they may have been. But he says a criminal investigation is under way.
The vials were reported missing yesterday. The school's medical center dean says it's unclear just how long they were missing.


What, so just nevermind??? Somebody swipes 30 freakin' vials of the bubonic plague, and then they just magically turn up two hours later? Then I start thinking to myself, if it only took two hours to find the "stolen" plague samples, then they obviously weren't very well hidden. Some Texas Tech Grad. Assistant probably took them back to his apartment/fraternity house/dorm room to impress a girl! So sad.

Wait a minute... Doesn't Bobby Knight work at Texas Tech now? The plot thickens...

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa