552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Saturday, January 11, 2003

Movie Night in the Big City

The best part of living in Columbus is the plethora of movie theaters in town. There's about six (including the one at Fort Benning), and they're building a 15-screen multiplex, too. The weird thing is that every theater is owned by the same company, Carmike Cinemas. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Carmike, but I have to say I love the "Carmike Seven," our dollar theater. Ok, actually, it's $2.00, but that's still pretty good. Cory and I have a whole new classification system for movies.

First, there's the "Must See" movies, the one's you're willing to pay a day's salary to go to (LOTR: The Two Towers, for example).
Then, of course, there's the movies you couldn't pay me a day's salary to see. "Jackass" comes to mind.
But now there's the "Yeah, I'll see it when I only have to pay two dollars" movie. Tonight, that movie was "Sweet Home Alabama." (Cory's choice, I might add.)

See, I live just 5 short miles from the Alabama border, so this movie was a pretty big deal around here. In fact, our station did news stories on the movie (does it accurately portray southerners?).

Now that I've seen the movie, here are my observations:

1. Yes, in Alabama, when you play the song "Sweet Home Alabama," people really do freak out. "Neeeeee-haw" is the usual response.
2. The movie "Sweet Home Alabama" had more white people in it than the actual state of Alabama has. (Seriously. There were only three black people in the movie: one was a stereotypical gay urbanite from NYC, one was the security guard at the bank, the third was an extra.)
3. Big hair is not as common in real Alabama as it is in movie Alabama.
4. Reese Witherspoon is too cute for her own good. She needs to be slapped.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa