552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Beware Flying Fish (part one)

So, last Saturday, Cory and I had to one of those "Only in Florida" experiences: The Matlacha Mullet Toss. (Ok, technically, other states do "Mullet Tossing," too... but would you really be that surprised if I told you that they did in in Alabama? Of course not.) By the way, when I say "mullet," I'm referring to the fish-- and not the haircut so popular among rednecks and hockey players. However, we saw plenty of both kinds of mullet on Saturday.

Matlacha is a small fishing town just a few miles from here. It's on Pine Island-- and just about every business is either a bar, an art gallery, or a bait shop. And I'm not even joking.

So, for the better part of the last two decades, a local group called the Matlacha Mariners have hosted a fish-flinging competition. By the way, the Mariners are a nonprofit org who support music education in schools. And, more importantly, who like to fling fish.

As a side note, the Mariners are a men's group. There's an accompanying women's group, the "Matlacha Hookers." Nice, huh?

So, the Mariners and the Hookers were out in full force on Saturday. And after two years of hearing about how fun the Mullet Toss is, Cory and I finally got to experience it for ourselves.

Ok... so that's it for part one. I've got to get ready to go to a movie (Gotta love the $4 morning matinee!)

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa