552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Ball-O-Stress

I've been climbing up the walls since my interview yesterday morning. First of all, let me explain-- I was terrified of this interview. Three Vice-Presidents, and the CEO/President. Yikes. To top it off, I haven't really had a "real" job interview in about fourteen years, when I was looking for teaching jobs.

Now, those interviews were intense, 2-day affairs where it seemed like I met everyone on campus. But I was 24 years old, and had the courage confidence foolishness of youth on my side. Plus, I had amazing references, I felt like I knew just about everyone in the field, and I really knew my stuff. The 4.0 in grad school didn't hurt either.

But job interviews have changed in the last decade and a half. I had a 45-minute phone interview a few weeks ago for a job at the circulation desk of one of our local libraries. They grilled me with prompts like, "Tell us about the last time you made a bad decision," and "When was the last time you had to persuade a supervisor to see things your way-- and were you successful?"

It was terrifying.

Ok. So, realizing how ridiculously unprepared I was, I checked out "101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" and read it at the pool the other day. In addition to a touch of sunburn (oops), I also managed to work myself into a frenzy.

Oh, and I bought a very cute new suit for the interview. A $200.oo suit for $34 dollars. What a bargain, right? I even shaved my legs. And trimmed my fingernails. I think I may have been too prepared. I barely slept the night before the interview.

I think the interview went well, but I've been in a tizzy since then. I literally can't concentrate on anything. I'm bouncing around like a crazy person. I've even tried to curtail my caffeine intake to calm me down, and it hasn't worked.

In fact, as I type this, I realize I'm just rambling. And I hope that I didn't just ramble for four hours on my Wednesday interview.

Crap.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa