552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Cinder-Fellas

When I got home from work tonight, I sat down at the computer and logged on to the internet. There, on my homepage (ESPN.com), in the upper right corner, happy news.

Posted by Hello


For the first time since moving up into the Division I ranks eight years ago, the Oakland University Golden Grizzlies are headed to the "Big Dance!"

Their RPI (ratings percentage index) has them listed as #211 out of 330 Division I teams in the nation. But, despite a 12-18 record, my alma mater will be in the field of 65. And my guess is with that stellar win-loss record, they'll be the #65 seed, battling some other no-name school (i.e. the Bucknell University Bison, the Fairleigh Dickinson University Knights) in the "play-in" game, just to have the honor of losing to a #1 seed (i.e. the Illinois Fighting Illini, the North Carolina Tar Heels) in the official "first" round.

By the way, the four schools mentioned above haven't yet officially earned their invitations to the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The Grizzlies have. And until the opening round play-in game on March 13th, I suspect they'll be partying like rock stars.

I should note here that the Oakland University women's hoops team made it to the NCAA tournament in 2002... the school's third full year as a D-I program. As a #16 seed, they got slaughtered by Vanderbilt in the opening round.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa