552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Welcome Wagon

The Welcome Wagon didn't exactly give me a warm reception on my return from Michigan. Today, on my way to work, it was pouring rain.

I know I've mentioned in the past that Columbus drivers are horrible. In general, drivers in the South tend to be pretty bad, but this city really takes the cake. Everyone drives insanely fast, and at least four or five people will zip through a traffic signal after it turns red.

So on my drive to work, the person in the car in front of me gave me every indication that they weren't planning on stopping at a yellow light. The lack of brake lights was the clue. Since it was pouring out, I was planning on following them through the light rather than testing my brakes on the slick road.

Well, something made them change their minds, and at the last second, the weenie in front of me decided to slam on her brakes and stop for the light. Bad move. I hit my brakes, which of course locked up, and I began skidding towards her bumper.

I remember thinking, "I can't wreck my car. I don't have enough money saved up for a downpayment for a new car!" In the slow-motion moments before impact, I assessed my options: 1. Rear-end the car in front of me, or 2. Yank my steering wheel so that I crash into the eight-inch high concrete median in the middle of the road.

So I yanked my wheel to the left, hit the median with a loud bang, hopped the curb, slowed to a stop, and breathed a sigh of relief. By the way, the woman in the car in front of me had braked so late for the light that she was stopped in the middle of the intersection, and needed to back up so that other cars could get through the light. But that's beside the point.

I slowly backed my car of the median, prayed that I hadn't hurt my baby in any way, and waited for the light to change. When I tried to get through the light, my car went thump-thump-thump-thump. I coasted to a decent place to stop my car, got out and assessed the damage. I've never seen a flatter tire. Of course, I'd also never seen a tire with a three-inch-long gash in it until today.

The good news? This all happened within two tenths of a mile from where I take my car for repairs. The bad news? I was already running a little late for work... and this wasn't going to make things any easier.

Since it was raining, I scurried across the street to the nearest pay phone and called work. I told them I'd be very late, and tried to track down Cory. I needed someone to pick me up and take me to work, but no luck. Nobody could find him anywhere in the building.

I tried his cell phone and got his voice mail. By this time, I was about ready to cry. I left this really pathetic voice message, but didn't bother telling him where I was because I was planning on going over to the auto shop and begging one of them for a ride to work.

Meanwhile, Cory was on his way to go vote, and happened to pass my car on the side of the road. Talk about serendipity. He drove me over to the auto repair place, waited for the tow truck with me, then drove me back to work. I can't believe he just happened to be driving by at exactly the right time.

Now, I just have to wait to find out if I bent my axle. Hopefully, a blown tire is the worst of my problems.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa