552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, October 10, 2003

Friday Five

As the self-proclaimed "sportslady," this particular Friday Five appeals to me.

1. Do you watch sports? If so, which ones? I'm particularly fond of Hockey, Football, and Baseball. I generally only watch college basketball unless it's work-related. I really like the NCAA Basketball tournament (Won the office pool this year, yahoo!).
2. What/who are your favorite sports teams and/or favorite athletes? Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Rams, any baseball team that doesn't play in New York or San Francisco. As far as players go, Steve Yzerman is #1 in my book. I'm also a big fan of Grant Wistrom, because, despite the completely insane hairstyle, he's "dreamy."
3. Are there any sports you hate? Hmmm. I don't like NBA Basketball, because it's all about showboating and being a star. I'm not a soccer fan, and I really don't like shooting soccer games for TV, because you don't ever get a chance to put the camera down and you could be there for two hours before anything interesting happens. I used to hate NASCAR, but now I have to admit I find it oddly appealing in a rednecky kind of way. I loathe most "outdoor" sports (hunting, fishing, etc) because I don't see the "sport" in killing things.
4. Have you ever been to a sports event? Duh. Some highlights: I've been to playoff games in all four major league sports, including all of the Pistons home playoff games in the 1989 and 1990 NBA Title runs, and the Rams Super Bowl XXXIV Championship. I've also seen the US Women's Soccer Team.
5. Do/did you play any sports (in school or other)? How long did you play? Ha! I'm a complete and utter clutz. I played basketball and softball in grade school, through RARA. Our basketball team was undefeated (thanks to one freakishly talented girl named Charlene), and our softball team was winless... usually losing via the "mercy rule." I really wanted to be on the swim team in high school, but I couldn't get a ride to practice that early in the morning, so I joined the diving team instead, because they practiced in the afternoons and could get a ride home with my friend Anne, who was also on the team. I really sucked at diving. When Anne and I got in a huge fight and didn't talk for a year or so, I quit the diving team (no big loss there). Other than that, I've lived a primarily sports-free existance. In fact, with the exception of my recent interest in golf, I spend most of my life avoiding sporting events of any type. I hide when people call the station looking for charity softball/basketball participants. I had a particularly humiliating experience a couple years ago while playing in an exhibition game against the Harlem Ambassadors, but we won't go into detail. Suffice to say, getting hit in the face with a basketball in front of half of the population of Kirksville, Missouri, isn't my idea of fun. It was like dodge-ball all over again.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa