552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Dispelling the Ugly Rumor

One of my co-workers (who asked to remain nameless) came up to me at work today and said "Hey, I can't believe you're leaving us."

"Huh???" I replied. "Ummm, I'm not going anywhere, unless you know something I don't."

Last month, I applied for another job with Raycom, our station's parent company. I hadn't even been looking for a job, but this one was ideal. The position was a Weekend Sports Anchor in Toledo, Ohio, only about 90 minutes from home. I have to admit, I was pretty excited about the chance to work there. I was a finalist for the job, but didn't get it (more on that later).

Somehow, inter-office signals got crossed, and someone announced that I was leaving the station. "Yikes!" I thought. "They may already be looking for my replacement. I need my job! I'd better get on the ball and squash this rumor!"

Anyway, I went to my boss (my real boss, the News Director, not Dave) and told him I didn't get the job. Honestly, I kind of figured he already knew, since he had to fill out paperwork in order to give me permission to apply for the job in the first place. He expressed the appropriate "sorry you didn't get the job" condolences, and we joked around about the station still being stuck with me. Hopefully the rest of the station will get the message that I'm not bolting.

As for the reason I didn't get the job, I'm sure there are many... however, I have to admit that I gave quite possibly the world's worst phone interview. I had just gotten out of the shower, was running late for work, and almost just let the machine get the call... but I'd been playing phone-tag with the News Director for about three days and I didn't want him to give up on me. Since I hadn't been job-hunting, I wasn't really thinking in "interview mode."

I'm already not very good at "selling myself," so when he asked me questions like, "What do you think are your strengths?" I couldn't come up with a thing.
me: "Uhhhhh... I talk pretty?"
him: What about your writing skills?
me: "Write... yeah, I can do that."

Of course, five minutes later, I could think of a million things to say. But by then, it was too little, too late.

Too Bad. I'd already thought of a couple of good new names for my blog if I moved to Toledo. "Glass City Reflections" was my favorite.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa