552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Sunday, June 29, 2003

A Legend Passes

Katharine Hepburn died today.

One of the weird things about working at a television station is that you know stuff like this before anyone else... suddenly you'll notice a lot of video of somebody on the feeds, then the "urgent" bulletin comes across the AP wire. The networks always seem to know before the AP reports it. In fact, ABC did a five-minute report on Katharine Hepburn before the AP reported anything today.

At my last station, our main anchor, John Garlock (aka "Johnny G-Funk"), used to always beg me to do my Katherine Hepburn impersonation. The raunchier the phrase I'd say in her voice, the better. I have to admit, it's pretty good, even though it's really an impression of Martin Short doing an impression of Katharine Hepburn. I may have to retire out of respect for Ms. Hepburn. I'm sure John will be brokenhearted.

As for Katharine herself, I think I may have to rent "The Lion In Winter" as a little tribute this week. You just can't beat her performance as Eleanor of Aquitaine (though she tied with Barbra Streisand for the Oscar that year).

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa