552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Gettin' Hitched in the Country

I promised a few days ago that I'd talk a little about small-town weddings. I've been to a few of them after living in Kirksville for the better part of a decade. As a city girl, I've also been to more than my share of big-city (or at least big-suburb) weddings.

Small-town weddings are kind of difficult to grasp when you're used to the massive productions that I grew up attending. Most of the weddings I've been to in Detroit, St. Louis and Chicago were pretty large affairs- about 250 guests (at least), and a dinner reception. Small-town weddings are, of course, smaller, and much less formal. It's not unusual to see someone wearing a polo shirt to a small-town wedding... and it's not unheard-of to see a few guests wearing jeans (usually black jeans) and a tee-shirt.

The bridal party is also usually pretty small. I think I've seen a maximum of two bridesmaids at the small-town weddings I've been to. Compare that with a college friend of mine (who'll remain nameless to protect her anonimity), who had eight (yes, eight) bridesmaids.

The reception is a completely different affair as well. I've always grown up with the city-girl notion that a reception is kind of like a prom with an open bar. You buy a new dress, eat a huge meal, gossip with friends, dance a lot, and get hammered. In the country, the reception pretty much optional. All of the small-town weddings I've been to have had a reception but every time, the reception has been at the church (or wherever the wedding was held). Two of them were real casual: deli-trays and punch. The other was even more casual: Pizza and beer. Two of them didn't even have music.

Now, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with having a casual wedding... I just don't want to have one that way. I want a big-ass party, with big-ass dresses and a big-ass meal and a big-ass open bar. I can't help it... I'm a city girl at heart.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa