552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Monday, June 09, 2003

Back from the 'Ville

Cory and I arrived back in Columbus at a little after noon today. It was one of those weekend vacations that makes you feel like you need a vacation when you get back. I'm pooped out. When we got back to the apartment, I read the mail, watered my plants, and went straight to bed for a three-hour nap.

Many stories to come. The wedding was very small-town, and since most of my readers are city folks like me, I'll dish the dirt on rural weddings in an upcoming post. Also, I'll tell you about the five pounds of fat I managed to add in just three days. For now, just a brief note about something that happened this morning.

We stayed Sunday night at Cory's dad's house in the Kansas City area (Blue Springs, for those of you that care). Our flight out of the KC Airport was at 7:10 am, so that Cory could get to work on time (half-past noon). Anyway, we pass through the screening area at the airport, and I'm standing at the little conveyor belt, waiting for my stuff to roll out. Now, I travel enough that I have a little regimen. I don't wear jewelry on the plane unless it's gold, I don't wear belts on flight-day, and I make sure to wear shoes that don't have little metal doohickeys on them (like shoelace eyelets). I generally also wear khakis, so that I don't have a metal button on my pants. It just makes life a lot easier for myself and for the security folks.

The dude behind me, apparently, did not feel the same way. He's probably about my age, and doesn't take off any of his jewelry to go through the metal detector, and (surprise) the thing goes off. So they have to scan him, and make him take off all his jewelry. Well, this tool doesn't want to take off his watch and hand it over to the security guy. He actually snarls at the guy, "This is a ten-thousand dollar watch." What an ass.

Now, here's some thoughts about this guy:
1. If I owned a $10,000 watch, I sure as hell wouldn't take it on vacation.
2. If I owned a $10,000 watch, I wouldn't advertise it in a place like an airport.
3. (This one I realized as he boarded our flight) If I owned a $10,000 watch, I wouldn't be flying coach class!

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa