552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

All Good Things...

I may have made a big mistake today... I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

A little background, first. As any woman can tell you, it's hard to find a good auto mechanic. Most think that it's their right to treat women like they're idiots, overcharge women for minor repairs, double the price of any estimated work, and take their sweet ol' time in getting the job done. I had a pretty good mechanic when I lived in Kirksville. His name was "Bud," and I think he thought I was a lesbian. I always made a point of wearing flannel shirts, holey jeans, and no makeup when I brought my car in for service, then I acted like I knew what the hell I was talking about.

When I moved to Columbus, it took me over a year to find somebody good. I finally found him, running a shop (conveniently enough) very close to our new apartment. He's about my age, nice, not condescending at all, sticks to the price that he estimates for the service, and doesn't do "added work" (for an added price) unless you ask for it. I'm sure he probably gouges me on the price like any other mechanic, but at least he's nice about it.

Well, today I had to take my car in (I think it's the alternator. ugh.), and made the mistake of mentioning Cory. To be honest, I thought I'd mentioned that I had a boyfriend before, but maybe I hadn't. It doesn't always come up in concersation. Anyway, he seemed... crestfallen. I hope this doesn't mean higher prices. Maybe he was just being nice because he thought I was available.

crap. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist, and he's really a nice guy, and my dating status has no bearing on the prices he charges. Keep your fingers crossed.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. A new alternator should run, what, maybe $150 for the part, and (I'm guessing) 2 hours of labor? So if I get charged more than about $270, I may have to start looking for a new mechanic.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa