552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Tossin' and Turnin'

For the second time in my life, I was in an earthquake and missed it. This morning at about 5am, there was an earthquake in Northern Alabama, about 175 miles north of here. I was asleep, and didn't even know about it until I showed up at work and everyone was talking about how the earthquake woke them up and that their pets were freaking out. As far as I know, Zoe slept through the whole thing, too.

The other time I missed an earthquake was in January 1986, when I was a junior in high school. We were happily singing away in choir class, and nobody even noticed it. Our classroom was an addition to the school, built on a concrete slab (the rest of the school was a 2-story structure, kind of built into a hill). A lot of kids in other parts of the building felt it, though.

Apparently, I'm oblivious to seismic activity. Now, tornadoes, those I've been in. A particularly nasty one missed us by about 1/10 of a mile in Bowling Green, Kentucky. A skylight exploded at the mall where we ate lunch, and the sign in front of the Wendy's down the street from our hotel crashed through the roof (of the Wendy's, not the hotel). Very strange to watch CNN later that night and see all the destruction we'd driven past just an hour earlier.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa