552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tourist Season

Having grown up near Detroit, and having lived in some pretty boring places-- it's kind of weird living down here in Florida. I've never lived someplace that people actually wanted to visit. And while we haven't exactly been overrun by houseguests (a good thing for the most part... I hate cleaning for company), there is a certain glamour to living here.

Sure, living in the Sunshine State isn't exactly like living in a city like Savannah or Key West or San Diego-- cities that are themselves tourist destinations. Cities that people who live here would take a vacation to visit.

Several years ago, when we were still living in the Peach State, we got to visit Savannah for a few days. The downtown area is adorable, the history is fascinating-- and I didn't even find the peoples' accents annoying (unlike the part of Georgia where we lived. The accents there were obnoxious).

There was so much to see that we decided to take an official tour. I think it's the only time that I've done that, and it was really interesting. For more than an hour, we traveled up and down the streets of Savannah, seeing unusual sites-- like the park bench that Tom Hanks sat on when they filmed the movie "Forrest Gump." We stopped at the Telfair museum (site of my "Wordless Wednesday" post two weeks ago). We even saw the infamous "Bird Girl" statue of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" fame. Oh, and I got to pet a horse. That's always a plus in my book.

I don't know if I'd ever go back to Savannah-- love the city, hate the state. But I think if we went back, I'd want to go on the Savannah Ghosts Tour. We considered going on a simlar tour when we were in New Orleans but never got around to it... and it sounds pretty cool!

I don't see a vacation in my near future-- but if you plan on visiting one of those touristy cities, and you don't know where to start when you get there, check out one of those tours-- one of the companies that seems to offer tours in every city is Trusted Tours and Attractions. I know, it sounds cheesy-- but turst me, it's better than sitting around your hotel room staring at pamphlets and tour guides (which is what I often end up doing-- and regretting). And if you have to read those tour guides, you can do it while riding on the trolley between tourist stops!

Trusted Tours and Attractions has an email newsletter that you can sign up for-- and as an added bonus, if you sign up, you'll be automatically entered to win 4 free tickets to tours in a city of your choice. By the way, that offer is only good until Friday, December 14th, 2007. So if you're going to do it, get on the horn!

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa