552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Cher-tacular

Well, it's been a week since Halloween, and I still haven't shared the saga of Halloween night with you. As I mentioned, I was going to dress as Cher... in part because I already had the black wig.

Ok, there was another reason for a costume change between Saturday and Tuesday. See, I had a bad experience on Saturday night in my Barbie doll costume. We went to the local newsie hangout, an Italian restaurant/karaoke bar, where they were having a karaoke/costume contest (the grand prize was $400, which made getting on stage somewhat enticing). Not only did I completely humiliate myself on the karaoke stage by attempting to sing that god-awful "I'm a Barbie Girl" song, I also nearly got in a fist-fight with some skank as the bar was closing. It's a long story, which I won't get into. Suffice to say, though, that if I was going back to that bar in costume, I wasn't planning to make myself recognizible in any way.

This picture, by the way, were taken late at night, after much of my makeup had worn off. I looked much more Cher-riffic earlier in the evening.

So, when Cory got out of work, we headed over to a friend's house for a brief Halloween soiree. We didn't get there until about 11pm, so we only stayed for about an hour before the party started to break up. From there, we went back to the bar where I'd humiliated myself just a few nights earlier.

Of course, I sang a Cher song, "If I Could Turn Back Time." The grand prize was $100, which wasn't quite as enticing... but I told Cory that if he entered the contest, I would humiliate myself again.

This time, I actually knew the song (ok... I kind of knew the song... and I managed to fake my way through the rest of it). And I kind of sound like Cher when I sing, thanks in part to a long-running joke between myself and my late friend Mike. And I had a large cheering section of tipsy co-workers to support me. And it didn't hurt that the people sitting closest to the stage were hammered, and they thought I was the funniest thing they'd ever seen in their lives.

The result? A nice check for $100.00 was in my hot little hands at the end of the night! Not too shabby, right? I should note that Cory won a $25 gift certificate for his 4th place finish.

I think maybe I should dress like Cher every Halloween.

Labels: , , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa