552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Life's A Beach

Sometimes my job can be pretty cool. Yesterday, I covered a youth sailing regatta at the beach. Getting to the beach (the big one) is about a 40 minute drive from here, but it's a nice drive this time of year. There aren't too many tourists in town yet, clogging the one main street on the island.

Saturday was a gorgeous day. Sunny, but not too sunny, a high of about 85 degrees, with a nice breeze coming off of the gulf. Not a bad day to spend a few hours on a boat, which is what I did. When I was done, I gave Cory a call and he met me at the beach for lunch. We sat outside, overlooking a little harbor, and talked about the fact that our wedding is exactly six months away!

I got back to work just in time to catch the start of a certain ballgame that I was very interested in watching (still not naming names, in the interest of keeping my team jinx-free). One of the luxuries of working in television is that every single one of us has a tv at our desk. Sometimes on a Saturday evening, when there are a lot of game I want to see going on at once, I'll visit all of the empty desks around me and turn each television to a different game. Then I can just swivel around on my chair and watch them all at once. It's kind of like being at a sports bar on an NFL Sunday (only without the beer and buffalo wings).

Yesterday, I only had to watch a couple of TVs. Of course, I had the big game (the one where the fans looked very cold) on at my desk... and a couple of college football games on assorted desks around me. I stuck around until my game ended, did a happy dance around the newsroom, then headed out to the hockey game.

Believe it or not, the hockey game was the worst part of my day. Crazy, huh? Because I stayed at the station to watch the end of you-know-what, I only caught the third period of the hockey game, and they lost. Thankfully, it was just an exhibition. The regular season doesn't start until next week.

When I got back to the station, it was just in time to see the end of the football game (War Eagle!) and the end of the other game-we-will-not-mention (trying not to jinx Cory's team, either).

So, all in all, a day at the beach, a dramatic win for my team, a big win for Cory's team, and a Gators football loss (which I thoroughly enjoy seeing). And I get paid to do this?

Labels: , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa