552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Chirp!

A couple of months ago, as I was leaving for work in the morning, I saw a small flock of Monk Parakeets in our front yard. The bright green birds caught my eye, and I tried to snap a couple of pictures, but they were fairly skittish and flew away when I approached.

I'd heard that the Cape had a flock of wild Parakeets (they're not native to the US, but there are several flocks in various parts Florida), but I'd never seen them. There supposedly was a nest somewhere by the Cape Coral Yacht Club Beach, which isn't far from our house.

We spotted them a few more times near our condo-- usually on the power lines, but never saw more than two of them at a time.

Today, after Cory and I went to the Farmer's Market, we stopped by the beach on our way back, and could hear the Monk Parakeets squaking from about 100 feet away. This time, I got a decent picture:

Cute, huh? They've built nests in about a half-dozen trees around the beach... and while they're not nearly as social, they're much less annoying than the stupid gulls that keep trying to steal your lunch at the beach.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa