552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fay, Fay, Go Away

We obviously survived Tropical Storm Fay. She made landfall about an hour south of us, flooding the streets of Marco Island and dumping 8 inches of rain on some areas to the south and west of us.

Here in the Cape, we only got a little sideswipe by Fay... a couple of inches of rain and a lot of wind. We were ready, though-- with many jugs of water and fresh batteries in the flashlight.

Cory started his new job officially on Monday, going in at 8:00 and staying until about 4:30. Then he had to turn around and go back at 11:00 last night to help cover the storm.

Since I'm not in TV anymore, I wasn't on lockdown. Instead, I was in my own cozy bed, with my cozy little Zoe, watching the Olympics like a normal person.

The weird part is that we never lost power. I know what you're thinking... we didn't really get the brunt of the storm, so why would we, right? Well... we typically lose power at the drop of a hat. The Cape doesn't have buried power lines. Instead, every house is hooked up to a big power line. A stiff breeze, a bolt of lightning, a steady rain shower, and we lose power. On a typical summer afternoon during the "rainy season," we lose power once or twice a day. But somehow, we managed to make it through Fay without a single blackout.

Other places around us weren't so lucky. Collier County, just to the south of us, had about 35,000 people without power.

For the record, Cory got to come home at 10:00 this morning. He was home for about 5 minutes before he fell asleep. It was kind of funny, actually... I was hanging out with him until he nodded off, and I left the room. About fifteen minutes later, I could hear him calling my name. Apparently, he hadn't realized that he fell asleep, and he thought that I just disappeared.

Like I said, he was pretty tired.

I'm obviously at home-- one of the perks of having a "normal" job is that the office was closed today. I'm so bored that I called my boss to see if she needed me to come in (all the VP's are there right now), and she said not to bother.

Oh well.

Labels: , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa