552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

Since Cory and I bought the condo last year, we're now only about a mile from the public library, so I've been going there a lot lately. That's what made me think of this week's T.T. Topic:

My 13 Favorite books as a kid/teenageer (in no particular order):

1. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. As Charlotte herself expressed, that is "Some Pig."
2. The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden. The illustrations were done by Garth Williams, who also did the illustrations for Charlotte's Web.
3. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I probably read this dozens of times, and much like Charlotte' Web, I remember seeing an animated version of it at school at some point.
4. Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. Sugh a great book, though I read it a little too young. It made me terrified of my menstrual cycle years before I even needed to think about it. And terrified of belts, too.
5. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I don't remember much about it, only that it made me cry. And speaking of crying....
6. The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. I bawled like a baby. I know they made a movie out of this a few year ago, but I never saw it. Which leads us to another book that's "now a major motion picture:"
7. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I saw a high school production of the play when I was little, and I read the book shortly afterwards. I really, really wanted to see the movie, but somehow Cory went to see it and I didn't. Totally not fair.
8. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I had trouble getting through all of the "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy, but I loved The Hobbit. I remember seeing an animated Hobbit movie at some point. I don't think it was very good.
9. The Pigman by Paul Zindel. I really liked all of Zindel's books. He wrote about most of the same topics that Judy Blume wrote about, but his characters weren't as sugary-sweet.
10. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Who didn't love Ponyboy? I loved this book before the movie came out-- then I saw the movie and became mildly obsessed with C. Thomas Howell, who played Ponyboy in the movie.
11. The Cat Ate My Gymsuit by Paula Danziger. I could relate to Marcy. She was smart but thought she was stupid, and she wore glasses and had a low self-esteem. I still have a copy of it.
12. I Was a 98-Pound Duckling by Jean Van Leeuwen. I still have a copy of this one, too. I must have read it 50 times. The main character was tall, skinny and awkward. And she still managed to find a boy who kind of liked her. You've got to love that.
13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I spent one summer reading all of Adams' books while lying in the backyard. At the end of the summer, I emerged physically tan and a little mentally warped. Don't forget your towel.

So, which books did you read as a kid?

Check out the Thursday Thirteen Blogroll!

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa