552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Stupid Anaheim...

Another hockey season has come and gone... well, ok... I guess the NHL season isn't over yet officialy, but I won't be watching much of the Stanley Cup championship. That's half because the Red Wings won't be playing for Lord Stanley's Cup... and half because of our crappy cable system.

Here in the Sunshine State, each city negotiates a cable contract with just one cable provider. So, if you live across the river from us in "The Fort," for example, you can only get Comcast cable. Here in the Cape, you had to get Time Warner Cable. At least, that's the way it was when we moved here.

Anyway, Comcast's channel lineup includes "Versus" (formerly the Outdoor Life Network), the network that carries the NHL now that Gary Bettman has completely screwed up the league. So, when I'm at work in "the Fort," I can watch hockey on the cable there. But Time Warner Cable didn't carry OLN/Versus, so no hockey at home.

Here's the really stupid part. About six months ago, everyone in the Cape was transferred over to Comcast. No more Time Warner for us. Shortly after the switch, we got a letter saying that Comcast would be changing our current channel lineup to make it "more consistant with the cable offerings in other Comcast markets," or some such nonsense. But so far, there hasn't been any change whatsoever.

That means, if the Red Wings were playing on a weeknight, I had to either watch the game at work or go to a sports bar to watch them. And while I don't mind watching sports at a bar usually, last night was particularly annoying. And I'm certainly not going to go out, pay high prices for cheap beer and bad food to watch Ottawa and Anaheim.

Thankfully, only the first two games will be on Versus... the rest of the cup finals will be on NBC. I hope there are seven games and they all go to double overtime. But that's only because I work for a CBS station and I like it when the other guys have to stay at work late. After seven years of working late on Monday nights because of Monday Night Football, I think I'm justified.

By the way, Go Ottawa!!!!!

(oh, and no, I don't think I jinxed the Red Wings when I hugged the Stanley Cup last year. So don't even go there.)

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa