552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, October 02, 2003

Divided Loyalties

I can't decide who to root for in the National League Division Series between the Braves and the Cubbies.

I love the Cubs. I've been a Cubbies fan since the early 80s, when I discovered that they were on TV damn near every day when I came home from school (Wrigley Field still didn't have lights, so they only played day games). And I can always get behind a team that hasn't won a World Series in nearly a century.

On the other hand, I have a sort-of professional obligation to be a "homer." The media is supposed to be un-biased, but because the viewers are Braves fans, I have to be an Atlanta fan by proxy. Even more than that, if the Braves win, there's a good chance that I'd get to go to the National League Championship, and that would be pretty cool. I got to go to a NLCS game two years ago, when the Braves lost to the Diamondbacks.

I reaaallllyy wanted to go to tonight's game. Two days ago, tickets were still available (despite the fact that the Braves have won the last 12 division titles, Atlanta fans could care less. Nobody goes to see them in the playoffs), but I didn't have anybody to go with me. That's what sucks about Cory working nights and me working weekends. We don't get to do anything together unless one of us takes time off from work. Anyway, I don't have any friends, and though I considered going by myself, that seemed a little pathetic.

The good news is, Cubs fans came down from the windy city and bought out all the unsold tickets, so Turner Field has been packed with Cubs fans for the last two night. Now that's a city that knows how to treat its teams.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa