552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Communication Breakdown

So here's a little question for you: Do Men and women communicate differently? According to my Master's Degree in interpersonal communication, the answer is yes. And I'm inclined to belive that, since I spent about ten grand to learn about the way we communicate.

I mean, think about it? The way we communicate is a direct result of our personal experiences. How many times have you heard yourself saying the exact same things that your mother (or father) said to you a million times while you were growing up? (And if it hasn't happened to you yet, I assure you, it will.)

So since women's experiences are very different from men's experiences, it stands to reason that the way that the two genders communicate would differ as well, right?

Not according to the Sedona Method. They say that these perceived communication differences are just stereotypes that make us focus on our differences instead of our similarities.

Ok. I'll bite. But here's the thing that confuses me. From what I understand, the Sedona method teaches us how to suppress our negative emotions. Now I'm all for feeling better about myself, and getting rid of my self-esteem issues... But don't we need those negative emotions? If we're angry and we're hurt, shouldn't we try to understand it? And shouldn't we communicate those emotions with our loved ones?

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa