552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Mist

When I was ten, I saw "The Shining." You know-- the one with creepy Jack Nicholson typing "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" over and over and over again.

It was, by far, the scariest movie I'd ever seen. I think it was probably at that moment that I understood the phrase "edge of your seat," because I was literally there for most of the movie. It still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

After that, I started reading a lot of Stephen King books-- and then becoming more and more disappointed every time I saw the film adaptations. I think the last straw was probably "Maximum Overdrive," which my friend Emma and I went to see in high school, mostly because Emilio Estevez was in it. Even a brat-packer couldn't disguise the fact that the movie was horrible, and at that point, I stopped reading King's books-- and swore off his movies.

But then, something happened. People started making good adaptations of King's novels (and novellas). Movies like "The Shawshank Redemption," and "The Green Mile." Movies I loved.

Today, I watched the trailers for The Mist by Stephen King and it looks pretty good. First of all, I love Marcia Gay Harden-- she's a great actress. The plot looks pretty cool, too. A weird mist envelops a small town, and traps a bunch of people in a supermarket. They're pretty sure there's something evil in the mist... but inside the market, there's a different kind of evil.

I haven't read King's novella, so I don't know what the payoff is. There's some shots of giant bugs and some kind of tentacled thing-- I hope the effects don't make the movie cheesy. I really like a good psycho-drama, and I hope this one doesn't disappoint me. At least, now that I've seen the trailer, I know it'll be better than "Maximum Overdrive." When you get a chance, check out the trailers online (The Mist by Stephen King). I'd like to hear what you think.

Sadly, Cory and I have only gone to about five movies since moving to Florida, so I'm not sure if we'll make it to this one. Sigh.

A girl can dream about a movie date with her husband, right?

Labels: , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa