552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Work Woes

I'm not really sure if I should write about this, but what the hell. My boss is pissed at me.

See, we've got this major project due, and Dave and I have been working our asses off on it with very little help... and even less guidance. I should probably add that if any other department were doing this project, there's be a minimum of nine people working on it: Two anchors, two reporters, two videographers, a producer, an executive producer, and a videotape editor. Instead, it's Dave, me, one videographer and one reporter. And the videographer's committment was less than five total hours, including commuting time.

But that's something I've just had to get used to over the last few years. And even though it means that we have to come in on our days off to get everything done, it's also kind of nice to have that much control over the product. Dave and I typically see eye-to-eye, because we both want the same thing... a final product that we can be proud of.

Dave and I have done a lot of these projects together... as many as four per year since I came here. So we know what works and what doesn't. And typically our news directors trust our judgement.

So to make a good final product, we've learned to minimize risk. If we don't think something is going to work... or if we have reason to believe that something could go wrong, we don't make it the major focus of our show. We don't put all our eggs in one basket.

Here's the way Dave and I see it. If the project gets screwed up, we're the ones that look like idiots on air. And since we've gotten virtually no guidance on this project, we had to make some calls that our boss doesn't like. And now he's pissed at us. I came in to bust my butt on my day off, and then I had to deal with that, too. I should have just stayed at home, like a normal person.

So, if I seem a little more stressed than usual lately, that could be the reason why.

But, at least there's some good news... our friend Blaine found his brother! Hooray!

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa