552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, June 03, 2005

Tag! I'm "it!"

Well, last night, Basil tagged me with a Music Meme. And since I'll probably run into him tomorrow night at the Catfish game, I'd better post a response and soon!

The last CD I bought was:
Devil's Playground by Billy Idol. In fact, it's the only CD I've bought (for myself) in well over a year. I heard the song "Scream" one time, and rushed out to buy the CD that very day. Of course, the fact that I spent the majority of my early-to-middle teenage years completely obsessed with Billy Idol might have something to do with it.
Honorable Mention goes to Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection," which I plan on purchasing sometime in the next few days. Can you tell I'm going through a bit of early 1980s nostalgia?

Song (CD) playing now:
Though I own lots of CDs, I rarely listen to them. I listen to my XM satellite radio most of the time, since I don't have a CD player in my car. I just checked the CD carousel in our living room... nothing in it. Upstairs, in the spare room, Generation X: Perfect Hits 1975-1981 is in the portable CD player. I was listening to it a couple weeks ago while playing video games. Once again, it's that Billy Idol/nostalgia trip I've been on.

Five songs I listen to a lot or that mean a lot to me:
"Spirit of the Radio" by Rush- A couple of years ago, my late friend Mike asked some of his friends to write an essay about a song that was significant to us. I wrote about "Spirit of the Radio." Quite simply, it's the first rock-and-roll song I ever fell in love with. I'm providing a link to the essay, but his domain name expired last week.
"A Midsummer Night's Dream" by Felix Mendelssohn- My parents primarily listen to classical music. They have since I was a kid. We also would always eat dinner together (something pretty foreign to today's families, I suspect). Anyway, on Sunday nights, they'd often ask me to put on some "dinner music," and more often than not, "A Midsummer Night's Dream" would be my selection. It's soft and melodic and makes for nice dining music. I selected it so many times that my mother started referring to it as my "leit-motif," and they've played it for dinner music just about every time I've returned home for a visit.
"Come Sail Away" by Styx- Yeah. That's right. I said Styx. The kings of what Cory would call "pussy rock." If Mike were still alive, he'd probably disown me for even owning one of their CDs, But Styx got me through a lot of rough years in Kirksville. I love singing along to their Greatest Hits at the top of my lungs. Hell, I even saw them in concert at the Quincy (Illinois) Raceway. Besides, how many other songs about alien abduction can you name?
"Copacabana" by Barry Manilow- This is my karaoke stand-by. It's a fun song, easy to sing, and you can usually get the drunks to get up and dance, thus averting attention from myself.
"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel- Cory and I have been trying to pick the perfect song to dance to at our wedding. We're pretty sure that this is "the one."

Three people I will Tag:
Cory, because he buys more CDs than anyone else on the planet.
Kelly(The Library Diva), because I'm curious to see if she's bought "Rock of Ages" yet.
The Lady Crumpet, because thinking about Mike got me thinking about her, and because I know she loves a good excuse to blog about Crowded House.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa