552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Idol Worship

One of the posts that blogger swallowed a few weeks back was a lengthy manifesto about the new Billy Idol album. I sense eye-rolling from those of you that have known me since Van Hoosen Junior High school.

The essence of the missing post? I heard a song on the radio that I really, really enjoyed. It sounded like a cross between "Fire Woman" by The Cult and "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol. Then the DJ came on and said that it was the new Billy Idol single, "Scream."

Whaaaa? New? I thought he'd resigned himself to the world of greatest-hits-album releases and occasional cameos in movies (we've all seen The Wedding Singer, right?). After all, a life-threatening motorcycle wreck, a drug overdose, and (even scarier) teenage kids, could make any rock star fade into obscurity, right?

So I bought the new CD that day. It's pretty damn good, with the exception of a couple of songs that just don't fit in very well.

This Tuesday, Cory and I headed up to Atlanta to see Billy Idol at The Tabernacle. For being nearly 50 years old, the dude still rocks. Some impressions of the concert and the album:

1) It was really, really nice to go to a concert and be the same age as everyone else there. Hell, I was younger than a lot of the crowd.
2) The Tabernacle is an awesome place to see a show. We got there about half an hour before the show started (it was general admission), and even though we were in the upper balcony, I'd guess we were less than 100 feet from the stage.
3) Billy Idol's been working out. The dude's 49 and he has a freakin' six-pack.
4) Steve Stevens is the one of the most under-rated guitarists of all time. He pulled out all the guitar-god tricks... playing his guitar behind his back, playing it with his tongue. Someone even flung panties at him during a solo (No, it wasn't me. We weren't within panty-flinging range).
5) Somebody's been listening to a lot of Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash. "Cherie," the Diamond-esque new song, is the next single.
6) Yes, I bought a t-shirt. You don't go to a Billy F*cking Idol concert and not buy a t-shirt.

By the way, I dyed my hair purple for the concert. It looked very cool. The unfortunate side effect is that now I want to quit my job as a professional sportslady and become a rock star instead.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa