552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, July 23, 2004

Movie Night, Part II

Wednesday night, I had an unexpected evening off from work (I had to re-schedule a story shoot for another day), so Cory and I headed back out to the dollar theater for another show.  Our choices were pretty slim, since we'd already seen a few of the flicks playing.  In fact, our only reasonable choices were Van Helsing and Hellboy.  Everything else was either playing too early, or a worse-looking movie than either of those.  Even for a dollar, we have some standards.

We chose Van Helsing.

About 20 minutes into the movie, I remembered the one review that I had read about it.  It was short and sweet... five words, to be exact:

"Van Helsing is Van Hellish."

It was pretty bad.  The first monster he killed (Mr. Hyde) looked a little too much like Shrek. And nobody wants to see Shrek get impailed.

The effects were cool, but a little too cartoony.  The acting was wayyyy over the top, especially when the vampires were on screen.  The dialogue sounded like a fourteen-year-old wrote it, which wasn't the actors' fault, but they weren't helping it along any. 

Of course, it was only a dollar, so I can't complain too much.  It gave me two hours of entertainment for a buck... and at least it wasn't as bad as "The Hulk," which was by far the worst movie I've seen in about six years.

Plus, it had Hugh Jackman in it.  Honestly, I don't know what it is I find so appealing about that man.  I've only seen him in three movies (Van Helsing, X-Men and X2), and he wasn't particularly attractive in any of them.  Maybe I have a weird Werewolf/Wolverine fetish.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa