552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, August 01, 2003

Take Me Out to the Ballgame...

In absence of my other half, I went to the ballgame at historic Golden Park tonight. The home team won, by some obnoxious score (16-6, maybe? I stopped counting after about the fifth inning).

Its very rare that I get to go to a ballgame and actually enjoy it. Usually I'm working, and Cory comes along to lend a hand and maybe get a free trip to the ballpark. Tonight, I went with Cory's boss, Betsy, and a friend of hers, Alexis. We had a really good time, though I think we may have annoyed the people around us with our constant chattering about non-baseball topics.

There was an older fellow sitting several rows in front of us wearing a Detroit Red Wings t-shirt and ballcap. Of course, I had to ask him if he was from Michigan. Sure enough, he was from Milford originally, not far from where I grew up. We had a nice little chat about hockey, and just before we left, he gave me a present: A Red Wings flag for my car. I told him I already had one, but he insisted I take it, saying that he had several of them. What a nice guy.

I've discovered a lot of this type of behavior while living in the South. Transplanted "yankees" stick together. One of the first friends I made down here was from Wisconsin. It was like an immediate bond, even though Eau Claire is some 600 miles from Detroit. In the context of the Mason-Dixon Line, it seemed like we grew up right next door to each other.

Labels: , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa