552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, August 15, 2003

Ben Franklin's Curse

(This post written at 1:00 Friday afternoon.... But we lost our internet connection three times while I was trying to post.)

I got off the phone with my parents about half an hour ago. They still don't have electricity or water at their place. Last they heard, they probably won't get electricity until Monday at the earliest. Nice, huh? They had to drive to Romeo, Michigan (birthplace of the untalented "Kid Rock") just to buy water. They were at the store for over an hour, purchasing a zillion little bottles of water (they were out of jugs, of course) and six bags of ice. I tried to entertain them for a little while, but eventually had to get ready for work.

Last I checked, nobody could figure out who started the big power failure. So far, the blame has fallen on Michigan, Ontario, Pennslyvania, and New York.

Not to start another irresponsible "internet rumor" among the eight people who read this blog, but I think the whole thing is probably Detroit Edison's fault. We've had trouble with their service as long as I can remember. During the hot, hot summer of 1995, we went over a week without electricity. The worst part was that it was just a stretch of about 10 houses that lost power... and Edison couldn't figure out how to fix the transformer box that blew. Since then, there have been countless lengthy power outages in the Detroit Metro area, the worst one coming this last winter. My parents were without power that time for about a week.

Oh, and on a mostly unrelated note, Detroit Edison has pissed off a lot more people than just my parents.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa