552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Monday, June 23, 2003

Guilty Pleasures

When I drive home from work on Sunday nights, I usually listen to the Allan Handelman Show. You never know who might be on. A couple of weeks ago, Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster) was on, last week it was some guy who said that Planet X was going to collide with the earth. Tonight, the band Skid Row was one of the guests.

Now, I have a serious soft spot for hair bands. Skid Row is no exception. I remember one night, my friend Sue and I were perusing the aisles at Meijer well after midnight, and we came across all of these fake street signs in the toy department. They looked like the type of things you find on the walls in a fraternity house basement. The signs all said lame things like "Yellow Brick Road" and "Easy Street." I found one that said "Skid Row" and we thought that was about the coolest thing in the world, so I bought it.

The problem with Skid Row now is that Sebastian Bach isn't the lead singer anymore. He's busy doing broadway shows and trying to be a legitimate singer. I'll probably remember him most fondly for being part of some pretty funny sketches on Saturday Night Live.

FYI for hockey fans: Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Zac Bierk is Sebastian Bach's little brother. Oh, and their dad was one of Canada's most famous painters. Go figure.

So my little Skid Row flashback was the first guilty pleasure of the evening. But it wasn't the last. When I got home, WE: Women's Entertainment (a network I rarely watch) was showing a true guilty pleasure: "The Cutting Edge." Nothing like a sappy hockey-player-falls-in-love-with-figure-skater movie to get the ol' blood pumping.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa