552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Saturday, June 21, 2003

Bookworm

Well, the big story tonight was the new Harry Potter book... We even did a live shot from a local bookstore about the new book. I've never read any of the Harry Potter series, though they look like the type of stuff I would have loved as a kid. Maybe one day.

When I was a kid, all I did was read. That sounds like a complete exaggeration, but it really isn't. In the summer, I'd ride my bike to the library, load up my bike basket with five or six books, then come home and bury my nose in them all day long. The day I discovered the "Young Adult" section in the library was probably the most exciting day of my 10-year-old life. One time, when I was grounded for crummy grades, I not only wasn't allowed to watch tv, listen to my stereo or talk on the phone... I also wasn't allowed to "escape by reading."

As an adult, I just don't have the time to read like I used to. I go through little reading spurts, usually when I go on vacation and buy a paperback at the airport. Several years ago, I discovered books on tape, and they've gotten me through a lot of very long drives. When I lived in Kirksville, I'd go to the library and check out five or six of them for the drive to Michigan and back. Now I get one nearly every time I have to go someplace like Albany or Macon to shoot a baseball/football/basketball game. It makes the drive go so much faster. I usually stick to mysteries by authors who I traditionally like: Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiaasen, Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell. Most of them are pretty prolific, so I can usually find a book that I haven't read by at least one of them.

About a year and a half ago, Jan got me hooked on the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Crime humor, easy reading, seriously fun stuff. The first line of the first Plum novel is : "There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever. Joseph Morelli did this to me-- not forever, but periodically." I was hooked immediately. The new book hits the shelves in 25 days, and I can't wait. The first chapter of the new book is online, in fact, the opening chapter of all of the Stephanie Plum books are online at www.evanovich.com.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa