552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Sunday, October 30, 2005

One Magic Loogie

This weekend, major news off the Associated Press sports wire.
Synchronicity.
The world suddenly makes sense. Two of my favorite things have finally joined forces permanently: "Seinfeld" and the Atlanta Braves.

If you'll indulge me...

From Seinfeld "The Boyfriend (Part 1)"
JERRY: Unfortunately, the immutable laws of physics contradict the whole premise of your account. Allow me to reconstruct this, if I may, for Miss Benes as I've heard this story a number of times.
Newman, Kramer, if you'll indulge me. According to your story Keith passes you and starts walking up the ramp then you say you were struck on the right temple.
The spit then proceeds to ricochet off the temple striking Newman between the third and forth rib.
The spit then cam off the rib turned and hit Newman in the right wrist causing him to drop his baseball cap.
The spit then splashed off the wrist, pauses... in mid air mind you... makes a left turn and lands on Newman's left thigh. That is one magic luggie (sic)!

From ESPN.com:
ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Braves named Roger McDowell their pitching coach on Saturday, replacing Leo Mazzone.
McDowell, who pitched for 12 years in the major leagues, was pitching coach of the Los Angeles Dodgers' Triple-A affiliate at Las Vegas the past two seasons.
McDowell pitched in 723 games -- mostly as a reliever -- during a career that included stints with the Mets and Dodgers, along with the Philadelphia Phillies, Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles. He had a 70-70 record with 159 saves and a 3.30 ERA.
In 1986, McDowell was a member of New York's World Series-winning team. He went 14-9 with 22 saves in 75 games.
McDowell was pitching coach for the Class-A South Georgia Waves [now Columbus Catfish] in 2002 and '03.

From Seinfeld "The Boyfriend (Part 2)"
NEWMAN: June 14th, 1987. Mets-Phillies. You made a big error. Cost the Mets the game. Then you're coming up the parking lot ramp.
KEITH: You said, "Nice game, pretty boy."
KRAMER: Ah, you remember.
NEWMAN: And then you spit on us.
KEITH: Hey, I didn't spit at you.
NEWMAN: Oh, yeah, right.
KRAMER: No no no, well, then who was it?
KEITH: Well lookit, the way I remember it, I was walking up the ramp. I was upset about the game. That's when you called me pretty boy. It ticked me off. I started to turn around to say something and as I turned around I saw Roger McDowell behind the bushes over by that gravely road. … Anyway he was talking to someone and they were talking to you. I tried to scream out but it was too late. It was already on its way.
JERRY: I told you!
NEWMAN: Wow, it was McDowell.
JERRY: But why? Why McDowell?
KRAMER: Well, maybe because we were sitting in the right field stands cursing at him in the bullpen all game.
NEWMAN: He must have caught a glimpse of us when I poured that beer on his head.
It was McDowell!

To Summarize:
The "second spitter" is now the pitching coach of the Atlanta Braves. And he was pitching coach here in C-Town two years ago and I didn't even know! Just think of the stories I could have done...

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa