552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Living the Dream

Cory recently blogged about ESPN's Dream Job. Now I feel the need to go on a little rant that I've been saving for a rainy day (Actually, it was sunny today. I meant that metaphorically).

For those of you that don't know the show, I'll try to explain "Dream Job." It's a reality show, but instead of auditioning for a recording contract (a la "American Idol") or for a romantic partner (a la "The Bachelor"), the contestants on "Dream Job" are auditioning for a one-year contract as an anchor on SportsCenter. I can't get into much more detail, because I've never actually seen the show.

The reason I've never watched the show is that I'm completely, horribly, undoubtedly opposed to it in every way. Why, you ask? Let me explain.

As an employee of an ABC affiliate, I'm not legally eligible for any contest that ESPN offers (ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney). And it's my understanding (and I could be wrong here) that nobody with television sportscasting experience is eligible for the "Dream Job" contest.

To paraphrase one contestant on a "Dream Job" promo that aired on ESPN, "I'd do anything to get the Dream Job and anchor SportsCenter."

Oh, really? You'd do anything? How 'bout this, then? You go to college, get a degree in broadcasting, start at a small market television or radio station, pay your dues, learn to do everything... write, report, shoot video, anchor... then work your way up in the business for 20 years before you get a shot at a national telecast? Would you do that???

I know dozens of phenomenally talented sportscasters who are toiling away in crummy small markets, just waiting for one shot at getting to a medium-size market like Toledo, and a freakin' SportsCenter job is just falling into the laps of these reality show goobers.

Ahhhh. I've vented. I feel much better.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa