552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Saturday, March 06, 2004

Brush With Greatness

As you may have read on Richard Burkard's blog, the last couple of days, I've been shuttling back and forth between Gwinett and Columbus, covering the Georgia High School Final Four. It's been a pretty exhausting couple of days, made more exhausting by the fact that the Columbus Lady Blue Devils missed out on the state championship by just four points.

But there's always a silver lining... my bangs don't look nearly as bad as I originally thought (Richard documented it for posterity's sake).

I also met one of the greatest college basketball coaches of our time. No, not Bobby Knight, thank goodness. And no, not Mike Krzyzewski, either. Gino Auriemma of the National Champion Connecticut Huskies Women's Squad was in attendance at the Gwinnett Civic Arena. Turns out he's never had a chance to see Columbus blue-chip Ketia Swanier play in person... and since Ketia's signed with the Huskies for next season, it's always nice if he knows what he's getting into.

So, once we spotted Gino in the crowd, Jack Rogers (WRBL's Sports Director) and I climbed up into the stands to ambush him for an interview.

Now... and I'm sure that this will stun you... a lot of coaches can be real asswipes. Reporters (like me) ask them ridiculous questions before games, stupid questions after games, and we're always second-guessing them. I always brace myself whenever I'm about to interview a coach, especially when the interview isn't set up in advance.

Gino was friendly, smiled, shook our hands, learned our names, answered our questions, and was very charismatic. He also had great things to say about Ketia (she'll be the fastest guard they've ever had at UConn). Of course, it didn't hurt that we were asking him softball questions. I still wouldn't want to interview him, say, after the Huskies 70-game winning streak was snapped... but he gets an "A" in my book.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa