552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Friday, February 13, 2004

Miracle Memories

Cory and I just got back from seeing "Miracle." Unlike Cory, I actually remember the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics. I had just turned 10 years old. Cory was three. It was kind of weird, watching all of the late 70's news reports... the bicentennial, the hostage crisis, the gas lines... and Cory doesn't remember any of those things. Hell, he was born two months after the bicentennial, and it's one of the most vivid memories of my childhood.

The "Miracle on Ice" isn't a vivid memory... I wasn't one of the millions of Americans watching it on tape-delay that night in February, 1980. I remember seeing the highlights over and over and over again for the remainder of the Olympics.

What I remember much more vividly was something that happened a few years later. I was in 7th or 8th grade, in English class. I don't remember my teachers' name, though I do remember that my friends and I often referred to him as "Ichabod." Needless to say, he was a little creepy looking. Anyway... we had to give a speech in that class. My speech was some lame thing on the zodiac. Another kid in my class gave his speech on the 1980 "Miracle on Ice." I spent half of tonight's movie trying to remember the guy's name... Bill Deery. Anyway, right in the middle of the speech... in front of thirty of his peers... in mid-sentence, Bill Deery's voice changed. It was a very Peter Brady Moment.

If something like that had happened to me, I would have been mortified. But he was a popular kid, and I don't think he was traumatized by the incident at all.

So anyway, that's my "Miracle on Ice" moment for you. Inspiring, wasn't it?

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa