552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Put 'Em all in a "Cell"

As many of you know, I'm anti-cell phone. I like having them on hand if I'm on a long drive (like my trip tomorrow), but other than that, there is absolutely no human being that I need to talk to so desperately that it can't wait until I get home. That's why I have an answering machine.

I can't even imagine what hell my life would be if I had a cell phone. As it is, my boss calls me five to ten times a day. Can you imagine how often I'd have to talk to him if he could reach me any time he wants? Dear Jesus. I'd have to shoot myself.

So, you can really imagine my disgust with those people whose phones are permanently attached to their ears. In the last two days, I've noticed two really inappropriate cell phone uses:
1. At the post office today, At the post office today, a woman was talking on her phone in line. That's cool. It was a long line, and I was pretty bored myself. But when she got to the clerk's window, she just kept on talking to her friend. There's the postal worker, weighing packages (there were several), doing her job, and the customer wouldn't even say one word to her because she was just so absorbed in her phone call (and it really wasn't an important call. I know, because she was talking very loudly.
Now, I worked customer service for a long time. I wouldn't have waited on the bitch. I'd have just stood there, staring at her blankly until she got off the damn phone and acknowledged me. The way I see it, she would have demanded my full attention. She should give me the same respect.
But this one really got me...
2. At the Alabama Final Four last week, I was in the ladies' room, fixing my hair for one of my live shots. A woman was in the stall, taking a whiz, and yammering away at one of her friends on the phone. In what world is this appropriate behavior? The last time I checked, we all tried to keep our bodily functions to ourselves. So it happens once, and I just think the woman's a freak. But here's the thing: It happened three more times over the next two days. People in the john, doing their icky business, and yapping on the phone. What's up with that???

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa