552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Law of Gravity

Isaac Newton established it, Blood Sweat & Tears paraphrased it: "What goes up, must come down."

I'm sure you all have noticed that I've been a bit down about my job lately. In fact, many of you have never known me any other way. It is a bit depressing when you've been seriously looking for a new job for 2 1/2 years and you don't get one single, solitary, stinkin' offer.

So, it felt pretty good tonight when a co-worker told me, "You're ten times more talented than Erin Andrews." I might add, this isn't a co-worker who's prone to doling out compliments. And, this is someone who's worked in television for almost 30 years. I think (hope) the compliment was sincere.

But, David Clayton Thomas was right... what goes up must come down.

See, today I ran a story about the Russell County High School baseball team, who is playing for a state title later this week. They're also ranked #1 in the entire nation. And, they're good kids. Admittedly, the story wasn't my best work... it was too long, and I wrote and edited it while doped-up on DayQuil. But there isn't a whole lot going on sportswise on a Monday night with the Braves on the West Coast. So the story ran at 6pm. And again at 10 pm on the Fox newscast. Then at 11:00. Finally, after some pressure to do a longer-than-usual segment for the morning show, we included the same story in my pre-taped a.m. sports segment.

I know, I know... get to the point.

As I was in the ladies' room, changing back into my "normal" clothes for the drive home, a co-workers very loudly asked the director what he'd done to get such bad karma. He continued, "because you must have done something pretty bad to have to sit through that piece of shit four times!" Loud guffawing followed, and I hid in the bathroom for the next ten minutes to make sure they wouldn't still be in the hallway when I left.

Gravity sucks.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa