552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Master De-Baters

Back in a previous life, I was a rhetorician. I have a masters' degree in Communication, was the director and coach of a nationally ranked speech and debate program, and was even the assistant editor of a communication journal. I even spent a summer studying the "politeness stragegies" used in the 1992 vice-presidential debates.

So you can understand why I find this year's debates so interesting. However, as I said, that was in a previous life. I look back at some of the papers and articles I wrote as a "scholar," and I feel like the title character in "Flowers for Algernon." I vaguely remember being a smart person at one time, but much of what I wrote doesn't make much sense to me now.

So, in the simplistic, sports-like terms that I tend to use now, I ask you: Was tonight's VP debate a smackdown or what? Seriously, I thought maybe they'd just start arm-wrestling at some point. Bitchy, Bitchy, Bitchy stuff.

I loved it. Who won? Who cares? That's good TV.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa