552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Busy as a Bee

Confession time. Most times, when I get a day off from work, I don't do anything. Actually, that's not quite true. I don't do much. I sleep late, lie in bed and watch my soap, don't shower until 3:00 in the afternoon or so, catch up on reading and email, then dress like a slob, run to the grocery store, and make dinner in time for Cory's break at 6:45. On really, really motivated days, I might do laundry at our apartment complex laundry room.

So today was a change of pace. I actually had things to do. First, a dentist appointment. I really like my dentist, but he had a new hygenist who was really, really friendly. I feel like I got her whole life story while she was sticking pointy metal objects into my mouth. I've never liked that forced and immediate intimacy that you sometimes develop with a complete stranger. Like on an airplane. You'll tell a complete stranger on an airplane more about yourself than you'd tell a coworker you've known for five years. I don't like knowing that this woman's dog has a leg-humping problem. I don't think the word "hump" should enter a conversation until you've known someone for at least a week. Give me a politician that makes the one-week-hump-moratorium a part of his platform, and he's got my vote.

My dentist, by the way, keeps pressuring me to get a retainer to take care of my snaggletooth. Despite thousands of dollars of junior high school orthodonture, I have one bottom tooth that's kind of sneaking behind the rest of my front bottom teeth. The first several times I went to his office, I told him that I was waiting to pay off my student loan before I committed to any major cosmetic dental work. Now that's paid off (thanks to Jan and Steve), and I don't have a good excuse any more. I did just fork over $280 for two new pairs of glasses, but that was a bit more of an immediate need.

So after the dentist appointment, I had a haircut on the schedule. Thankfully, I located Matt, the hairdresser of my dreams, a few weeks ago. He disappeared about three months back, and I went into crisis mode. Turns out, he now works at a salon about three blocks away from work. Go figure.

So, I was driving down Macon Road on my way to the salon, and this car starts creeping out into the road. This is a pretty busy part of Macon Road, where it's six lanes across with a left-turn lane in the middle. Now, I understand that sometimes on a busy street, you have to creep out a little so you can get a head start on the oncoming traffic... but this woman had crept out to the point that she was blocking my lane. So I slowed down a little, and she pulled out right in front of me. Thank goodness I'd slowed down.

Unfortunately, the car in the lane next to mine hadn't slowed. She realized this way too late, and he hit the rear of her car pretty hard after she pulled out in front of him. Her car kind of spun into the left-turn lane, but we he was only driving about 25 mph, so it wasn't a horrifying sight. Still, it all happened right in front of me. The guy, talking on his cell phone even after impact. The woman, looking in her mirror, realizing she just caused an accident with a state vehicle, pounding her steering wheel in frustration. I was a little rattled after witnessing the whole thing, and pulled into a nearby gas station. They seemed to have everything under control, so off I went for my haircut.

Matt seemed delighted to see me. He was rather disappointed in the current state of my hair, but we remedied that by chopping about three inches off. It's shorter and much sassier now... like it was the first time he cut my hair. Damn, I love that guy.

Oddly enough, he wasn't the only "Matt" to materialize in my life today. I got home and had an email from an old friend who's in Atlanta for the week with his wife. We're trying to work out a meeting for coffee or lunch or something before they leave town. I hope we can work something out, because I haven't seen him since I moved away from Mount Pleasant, Michigan, more than ten years ago.

Then, to cap it all off, Cory and I went to a movie tonight. We actually shelled out the big bucks for a first-run flick: Garden State. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I guess it's kind of "The Graduate" for the 2004 crowd. Zach Braff did a nice little job on his first indie film. He even has a blog, which I feel I must plug, since it gave me a little amusement.

All in all, quite a busy day for your sportslady couch potato. I'll try not to overextend myself again tomorrow.

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa