552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Aloha Means Good-Bye

Tonight, yet another going-away party for a co-worker.

It's funny. Cory and I rarely go out with our colleagues. At least, we rarely did. But in the last three months, there's been an amazing out-flow of co-workers leaving for other jobs (or in some cases, just quitting because they got fed up with the way they've been treated). It seems like early every other week we have a going-away celebration at El Vacquero.

This one got to me more than some of the others... not because of who it was (Richard's a great guy, though I don't know him very well), but because he's one of the "new guys" in my mind.

See, I've been at this station for 2 1/2 years. Not a very long time by "normal job" standards, but that's an eon by small-market television standards. The expectation is that you stay at a station for a year or two, then either move up to a larger station, or settle down and stay there forever.

There are only a handful of people in our news department that have been there longer than I have. It's pretty much just the main anchors. There are only two reporters at the station who have been there longer than me, and one of them has a foot out the door already (the other just built a house, so it's not like she's going anywhere). Everyone else is "new" compared to me. And it's when one of the "new people" leaves that it gets to me.

So, after dinner, one of my other co-workers and I just sat there, staring off into space. He's been there for a year and a half now, and is one of the "old-timers" like me. I knew exactly what he was thinking.

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa