552 miles... 1 million more smiles.


My Recent "Tweets"

Sunday, September 07, 2003

Just Give Me A Straitjacket

One of my great joys in life is gift-giving. I think generally, I'm a pretty good gift-picker-outer... though buying gifts for my parents still stumps me regularly.
Cory doesn't have the same passion for gift-giving (or gift-receiving) that I do. I think it's because I'm an only child... so Jan and Steve always mad a big deal out of every holiday for me. For me, it's all about the element of surprise. Cory's parents divorced when he was really young, so he often gets money for a gift... or he tells his parents what he wants and they just get it for him. Not a bad arrangement, but I hate it when people know what I'm getting them.

This year, I said to hell with the element of surprise. Cory needs some new dress clothes for Crackhouse Nicki's wedding later this month, so I told him that I'd get him something nice for his birthday, which happens to be the day before the wedding. Today, we went shopping before I had to go to work. What a freakin' ordeal.

For those of you who have never met Cory... let me explain why it was such a pain. There are exactly two stores in Columbus that carry Cory's size (54 Extra Long, Athletic cut). Of course, we didn't know this at the time, so we went everywhere, hoping they'd have a "big and tall" department. No dice at Parisian, Rich's, JC Penney, or Sears. The Men's Wearhouse in Columbus won't open until later this month. Dillard's has a big and tall department, which contained exactly two sportscoats... one navy, one black.

The two stores that actually carry Cory's size were stores that he described as "a little scary," though once we went inside, they both had great selections... even if their selection of clothes ranged a little too far into the pimped out realm for our tastes.

We found a couple of nice things... but they'd still need quite a bit of alteration. So, after three and a half hours of shopping today, we're exactly where we started. Looks like it's gonna be jeans and a Weezer T-shirt for the wedding.

Labels: ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!
Graphics and photos hosted by Hello from Picasa hello from picasa